Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Shredded Chicken Casserole

I love casseroles because they are, for the most part, fairly easy to put together. Even if they take a little extra time, I don't mind because it's going to be enough for two nights. This recipe has some ingredients that you can prepare in advance (ie cutting up the onion, celery and mushrooms and even cooking the pasta ahead of time.) I would normally prepare some of this, if not all, before dinner time but luckily my husband was home and in charge of the kids. 

What I love about this recipe (other than the fact that I can eat it two nights in a row) is that it's healthy and full of vegetables. My 9 month old loved this meal. Of course he loves all meals but still. My 2 1/2 year old wouldn't touch it. So....I brought a container with some of it to his daycare the following day and he ate the entire thing. What a stinker! I tried to give him some for dinner that night and he ate some but not all. Eh, whatever. At least I know it's not that he doesn't like it.
This recipe can be made with tuna or shredded chicken. I chose to boil some chicken and then shred it. It calls for 6oz chunk tuna but I made a whole pound (plus a little) and threw it in there. It worked though since I used the whole box of pasta.
While the vegetables were cooking is when I boiled the chicken. It doesn't take long.
I used whole wheat spaghetti. Next time, I'll use rotini and I'll also mix some bread crumbs in the mixture before baking to give it a little more thickness. It was great as I made it but I'd like to try something a little different next time.
The finished product!
Sorry for the blurry photo. This was a delicious meal I will definitely make again.

Ingredients:

1. 3/4 pound whole wheat pasta
2. 1 tablespoon olive oil
3. 1 small onion, chopped
4. 2 cups celery, chopped
5. 10 ounces white mushrooms, stemmed and chopped (I bought sliced mushrooms and diced them.)
6. 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
7. 3 cups skim milk
8. 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (You can also use low sodium vegetable broth.)
9. 3/4 teaspoons salt
10. 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
11. 6 ounces chunk tuna (Or boil the chicken and shred before combining it in to the mixture.)
12. 10 ounces broccoli, chopped (Save time by buying frozen and thawing it first.)
13. 10 ounces peas (Same as with the broccoli - buy frozen and thaw first.)
14. 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
15. 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese


Directions:
1. Cook pasta according to directions on box, drain and set aside. At this time, preheat oven to 425. 
2.  Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook onion until soft. 
3. Add in celery and cook for about six minutes.
4. Add in mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
5, Add flour over mushroom mixture.
6. Add milk and broth and bring to a boil.  Let simmer until broth mixture has thickened (about 7 minutes).
7. Add in salt and pepper.
8. Add in pasta, chicken, broccoli, peas and mix together.
9. Add to 9x13 pan.
10. Sprinkle bread crumbs and cheese over top of mixture.
11. Cook at 425 for about 25 minutes.


*If you want, you can double this recipe and freeze it for another time. My friend told me that she does that often. I always forget but it's such a great idea!!

No comments:

Post a Comment