Friday, July 19, 2013

3 Cheese Veggie Pizza

I love pizza. We usually make it at home once a week. It's very easy and it's a healthier option than take out. Although, a good take out pizza every now and again is exactly what I need! I occasionally like to browse through Pinterest to find some new ways to mix up our toppings. Below is a veggie pizza recipe that I found that uses lots of vegetables and pesto too, which I love. I prepared all the vegetables in advance (just the cutting, not cooking) so that when I was ready to make dinner, it didn't take much time. It tasted great and it was perfect for the kids. 
 If you buy dough, let it sit at room temperature for a while so that it will be easier for you to spread out.
 I know for me, dinner time is not the easiest time of day. Trying to make dinner with a toddler and a roaming, exploring infant can some times be challenging. This is why I am happy when there are things I can do ahead of time. (Also to save time, buy chopped broccoli from the freezer section and thaw.)
Ingredients
1 Whole Grain Pizza Crust (I buy the dough and prefer that over pre-made crust.)
olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets
1/2 cup thinly sliced zucchini
1/2 each thinly sliced red and yellow pepper
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp basil pesto
1/2 cup pizza sauce 
2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup light feta cheese, crumbled
*Change based on your likes and amount desired. For example, I used more cheese, less red pepper, more broccoli, etc.

Instructions
Preheat oven to 450F. If making pizza dough, prepare according to recipe instructions. I let my dough sit at room temperature for a little bit so that it would be easier to flatten out. I put it in the oven for about 10 minutes.

While the pizza is cooking, spray a skillet with olive oil and heat on medium-high. Add mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, red and yellow pepper, and onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pesto.

Spread pizza sauce over partially baked pizza crust. Top with veggie mixture, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, and feta.

Bake in preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted. 

Slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment