Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Spinach Risotto with Peas

I love Pinterest. Every week I sit and try to figure out what to make and I like how it's all just there, in one place, saved for me to easily go back to or to search for and add.  I still had a decent amount of Arborio rice from the last time I made risotto so I figured I'd give it a go and try risotto again. This recipe came out great and while the kids didn't eat a ton of it, they did eat a good amount. It got two thumbs up from my husband and myself though so I will definitely make this again.
Ingredients.
 While you cook the rice, you can cut up the spinach.

INGREDIENTS
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make it vegetarian)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
1 bunch (8 to 10 ounces) flat-leaf spinach, trimmed, cleaned, dried, and finely chopped
1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
(optional) 2 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS
STEP 1
In a small saucepan, combine broth with 2 cups water. Bring just to a simmer; keep warm over low heat.

STEP 2
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally,  until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.

STEP 3
Add rice; cook, stirring, until well coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine (or alternative liquid); cook, stirring, until absorbed, about 1 minute.

STEP 4
Add 2 cups of hot broth mixture; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes. Continue adding broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, waiting for liquid to be absorbed before adding more, stirring occasionally, until rice is just tender and creamy with a little liquid remaining in the pan, 20 to 25 minutes total (you may not need all the broth mixture). I used maybe 3 cups total of the broth mixture. Cooking times are going to vary  when it comes to the absorption of the liquid. I really shouldn't take more than the 25 minutes total the original recipe says.

STEP 5
Stir in spinach (in handfuls), peas, Parmesan, and butter; cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, with more Parmesan, if desired.

**I noticed after I put the spinach in that it needed a little extra liquid so I poured just a little bit of the broth mixture in.

**Instead of the white wine, I replaced it with broth. From what I was reading, you can replace the white wine with water or broth.

Another healthy and delicious recipe added to the list.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment