Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Kale Quesadillas

I recently bought a huge bag of Kale to use for another recipe and had a ton left over. Is there a reason they only sell kale in large bags at my store? I feel like I'm missing something. :-) Anyway, I have not been successful with kale chips so I wanted to find another way to use what I had. When making my lists every week, I try to first look at what I have in my kitchen that needs to be used and go from there. It's a great way to reduce waste of food and waste of money. 
 The mixture. I added black beans to the recipe.
 I did this on the stove top and then placed them in the oven to crisp them up a bit.
With a little bit of salsa on top, it makes a perfect meal. One quesadilla is quite filling.

Salt
1 bunch kale, thick stems removed
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for the quesadillas
1 onion, quartered and sliced (I probably used a quarter or so of a large white onion and it was enough.)
8 medium whole wheat tortillas
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
Optional toppings: salsa, refried beans, sour cream

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the kale. Boil, uncovered, until just tender but still emerald green, about 4 minutes or so. Drain and let cool. Squeeze out the excess liquid, then chop the kale.

2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender and beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chopped kale and sauté for 2 more minutes. I sprinkled a little bit of cumin, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika.

3. Heat a griddle or heavy pan over medium heat. Brush with olive oil and add a tortilla. Top with ½ cup each of cheese and the kale mixture, followed by another tortilla. Cook the quesadilla until the cheese is molten and the tortillas are crisp and browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a board and let cool slightly before slicing into wedges.

4. Repeat the process to make a total of four quesadillas. Serve with salsa and beans if desired.

*This recipe tasted great. It just needed a little sprinkle of some additional seasoning and I felt it could use more cheese. Definite do again though!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment